Today we had a play date with some good friends. One of our friends is highly allergic to nuts and proteins the are found in milk products and eggs. This makes finding something for afternoon tea a little difficult. However, these allergy-friendly (vegan) chocolate cupcakes always hit the spot!
The basis is a chocolate cake packet mix, which claims to be vegan. Many packet mixes call for eggs and oil; you only add milk (soya), water and oil to this one. I would recommend adding simple vegetable oil. Not only are nut oils a problem for our guest, but many oils including olive oil are too strong in flavour.
The highlight for our little guest is the frosting. Most frostings use butter, which he cannot have. We managed to find a margarine that works just as well. In fact it is better. The stronger milky creaminess of real butter somehow overpowers the chocolate, so that it doesn’t taste as decadent. These are lovely and vegan and allergy-free, even if you are not vegan and don’t have allergies.
Unfortunately, I have not yet come up with a recipe for a cake that is gluten-free, nut-free, egg-free and dairy-free. If anyone has one, please let me know! (This packet mix is not available in Germany.)
Allergy-friendly chocolate cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 1 ‘vegan’ packet cake mix
- As the instructions on the box dictate – soya milk, vegetable oil, water
For the frosting
- 150 g Margarine (dairy-free)
- 2-3 Tablespoons cocoa powder (Dutch process, not for hot chocolates)
- 250 g icing sugar
- A splash of soya milk
- Mix and bake the cupcakes according to the packet instructions. If you can only find a cake (and not cupcake) mix, fill 12 patty pans to be 2/3 full and bake for half the time indicated on the box. Ours took 30 minutes at 160°c.
- Beat the margarine until soft. Add the cocoa and icing sugar and beat to combine. Add the splash of milk and combine until you reach a good consistency.
- At this stage, the frosting will be quite dark and thick. Continue beating on high for a minute and it will become paler and fluffier.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, pipe the frosting onto the cake.
Serve to any little friends and enjoy!
Because who doesn’t love a vegan Tyrannosaurus Rex?